Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Carpe Diem

"Music has charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."  William Congreve

Last week I finished my magazine article, a fictional story about Erina who went to Haiti and had experiences that inspired her to want to be a missionary when she grew up. It really turned out horrible. My brutally honest critic husband let me know so. Ouch! He was right. I knew it wasn't good. So after dinner we decided to jump in the car and head for a local coffee shop, Carpe Diem.

It was great to get away and forget about it--the horribleness and all. At least for a while, I put the whole article out of my mind. I'll come back to it later. My fertile brain is already working on a complete rewrite with a different theme--same result.

Carpe Diem had a jazz quintet playing that night.  We ordered, found some seats and enjoyed sipping our drinks as we listened to the soothing music.  It was quite nice.  We lingered for a while.  After finishing our drinks, we left feeling that "Ahhhh" effect.

Despite a disappointing day of writing, it ended on a good note--smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...