Thursday, February 19, 2009

Real Life Stinks

Recession vs. Depression:  A recession is when your neighbor loses his job.  A depression is when you lose yours.

This week was a shocker for us.  My husband Bob came home from work at 11:30 in the morning and announced that he had been laid off from his banking job along with many others in his group in Northern and Southern California.  My heart sank...Oh no!  We hugged...I sobbed.  We talked about how we would get through this one too.  We have always been wise in our finances and so do not have overburdening debt.  Thank God.  He will see us through and things will be better.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11

We processed the situation most of the day, but my sweet and caring Bob demonstrated his noble character.  Being concerned for others in his office that got the bad news, he spent some of that time calling them and letting them vent.

Tomorrow I leave for a writers seminar.  I sent them my book manuscript for a critique.  I'm very excited to hear what they have to say.  And being that realism is in the air, I'm prepared that there will be lots of work to do after that.

4 comments:

  1. Chris,

    I'm so sorry to hear this news. Even though we as believers know God is in control, it' s still tough to face the harsh realities of layoffs, health problems and other difficulties. My heart goes out to you both. May God uphold you as you pray and take the steps you feel He would have you take.

    I hope you're able to leave your troubles behind you for a time so you can get the most from your conference experience. I'll look forward to hearing how it went and what the critiquers had to say about your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Keli. You are a real friend. Your encouragement and comfort are welcome fuzzies. We go on because we have JOY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Chris -

    You don't know me but I, a couple of days ago, greeted you on JacketFlap.
    I read your blog, as I do with many new members, and am very sorry to hear the job loss news. I trust things will get better soon, but I know such sentiments are of little use where you are. I lost what I thought was my stable job a little over a year ago, and decided to try to build a freelance illustrating career. It has been rough, and still shows no signs of smoothing out, so I know the struggles you're dealing with.
    All the best to you and your husband.

    Eric Hammond

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric, So sorry to hear of your loss and struggles. My heart goes out to you. I see you have a great talent, but it is tough times we live in. We will get through it. The Lord has seen Bob and I through it many times before. I really have a peace. Blessings and peace to you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...